Shaw Theatres | About Shaw
ABOUT SHAW   /   2000 and beyond
2000 and beyond
Shaw: The No. 1 distributor of Worldwide Independent Films in Singapore
Today, Shaw is the No.1 distributor of worldwide independent films in Singapore - representing companies like Bloom, FilmNation, Foresight, Lions Gate International, Mr Smith Entertainment, Pathe, Studiocanal, Solution Entertainment,Timeless Films and many others.

Shaw is also the leading distributor of Chinese films representing Hong Kong film giants like Pegasus and Mega Vision and China film giants like Huayi Brothers and Wanda Group. At any one time, audiences at Shaw cinemas can enjoy independent films of any language, of all genres.

Between 2005 to 2015, Shaw released over 500 films with bigger films commanding over fifty screens each.

These include top blockbuster franchises like the Step Up, Now You See Me and the Twilight franchise series.

No stranger to the Oscars when award season rolls around, Shaw distributes by far the largest number of Oscar nominated titles like Spotlight, Room, Imitation Game, 12 Years a Slave, Dallas Buyers Club and Blue Jasmine.

Shaw is also the biggest distributor of the best of Asian cinema, having released over the past few years films like Ip Man 3, From Vegas to Macau series, SPL series and The Monkey King series. IP Man 3 currently holds the record of the biggest Chinese blockbuster in history.

The Shaw movie distribution team is currently headed by Mr Christopher Shaw and is staffed by veterans of the film industry like Mr Toh Lan Sin (asian film distribution), Ms Carol Chay (asian fim marketing/promotions), Mr Rudy Marianto (marketing/promotions), Mr Terence Heng (media platforms development), and Ms Claudia Yap (cinema programming).

With an extensive network of screens (including three IMAX screens which are exclusive to Shaw), both narrow-release art house films and wide-release blockbusters are able to achieve maximum exposure islandwide. Heading cinema operations is Mr Mark Shaw whose team comprises of highly experienced managers and operators with decades of experience in the business.

Shaw Studios, Tseung Kwan O
In August 1998, Shaw Brothers (HK) Ltd led a consortium, The Hong Kong Movie City Company Ltd in a winning bid to build new movie studios in Hong Kong with Shaw itself taking a 35% stake in the venture. During construction, the entire project was expanded from 300,000 sq ft to 523,000 sq ft with a total gross floor area of 1.1 million sq ft. This pushed the project budget up to US$180 mil. By March 2002, the consortium dissolved but Shaw Brothers (HK) persevered.

The Hong Kong Movie City project was renamed Shaw Studios with Shaw taking a 95% interest and China Star the remaining 5%. Construction commenced in the fall of 2002.

Located 25 minutes from Central in Tseung Kwan O, the new Shaw Studios aims to be operational by the first half of 2007.

The studios boasts one of the largest, fully air-conditioned and sound and vibration-insulated soundstages in Asia, a full-service color lab and digital imaging facility, over 20 sound and editing suites, a 400-seat dubbing and screening theatre, executive and production office space, banqueting facilities, and visual effects and animation capabilities. In all, over a million square feet of digitally-wired and secure facilities dedicated solely to film production and post-production.

<       Next Story       >

Sign Up

By clicking "Sign Up" I agree to Shaw Theatre's Terms of Service.

Terms of Service.

Cart - items

Booking Fee
Grand Total
Want faster access to You can now have an app-like experience on your mobile for our website. Just click here!